Wednesday, November 28, 2007

What big eyes you have

We just got this release from Colorado State:

-----
VARIETY OF FACTORS CONTRIBUTED TO AVERAGE HURRICANE SEASON IN 2007, CSU FORECAST TEAM SAYS
-----

Well, I was relieved when I saw that. I had just been wondering, "Why was this year's hurricane season so average? If only someone could tell me why it was neither particularly mild nor severe. Be it one or two compelling and interesting reasons, or various minor ones, I simply must know. Perhaps someone in Fort Collins, Colorado, could tell me!" My prayers, it would seem, had been answered - but my confidence in their abilities faded when I read the lede:

-----
FORT COLLINS - Cooler water and wind shear in the central tropical Atlantic resulted in this season not being above average as predicted by the Colorado State University hurricane forecast team.
-----

So, really, they just sent us a press release to highlight their forecasting ineptitude. Way to go, PR team! If I may, let me suggest this alternate headline:

-----
OUR BAD, CSU HURRICANE TEAM SAYS
"Maybe we should move closer to the ocean"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Predicting long range weather trends is one hard job. But the boys at CSU and over at NOAA in Boulder are on the cutting edge of their craft. They deserve credit for that.

LadyBronco said...

I loved it!

"Maybe we should move closer to the ocean."

Nice.

self publishing said...

I loved it!

"Maybe we should move closer to the ocean."