Monday, May 14, 2007

Losing my naked lunch

Every once in a while, I learn that I have a button I wouldn't have guessed I had. For instance, today I learned that I'm a pro-clothing elitist. It all started with a story on AP's "weird news" feed:

Nudists Try to Attract Younger Following

The story contains an Atrocious Quote of the Year nominee, courtesy of one Sam Miller: "If a young person is enlightened enough to go to a (nudist) beach or resort, they'll find that they're outnumbered by people who are not like them."

Mind you, I'm vegan, and even I think the phrase "If a young person is enlightened enough" sounds pompous, self-important and generally crap. We're not talking about driving hybrid cars here, Sam. We're talking about dropping trou in public - at best, an OK alternative to the clothed lifestyle in climatically suitable parts of the world.

Also, if the young people in question are so "enlightened," then why are they so skeeved by old naked people? Either you've proven that enlightenment and nudism are unrelated, or you've proven that old naked people are universally skeevy. Or both.

I call naked shenanigans.

No comments: