Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Of all the nerve.

Today we got a faxed press release, whose headline was:

Love Is In The Air

The writer is clearly familiar with that little-known, but very important, rule of headline writing: make the reader feel defensive. In this case, I couldn't for the life of me remember contradicting the statement. As I struggled to recall the incident, I got more and more anxious. "Why on earth would I say that love isn't in the air?" I thought. "What was I thinking? Was I thinking?" Finally I said out loud - thankfully with no one else around - "Your mom is in the air." It made me feel better.

The whole episode reminds me of the famous New York Times headline from 1974:

ARE TOO

Anyway, this press release is largely unremarkable otherwise, to the point that I'm not even gonna tell you what it's for. You'll have to make do with this bit of questionable grammar from the lead paragraph:

"Part of this world's beauty is our individuality and diversity, and although we want to be our own person, we all have the need to feel connected to others."

No comments: